Tuesday 14 October 2008

Let the "pain" commence - part deux

Today N had his breakfast the European way: coffee and a pastry. A homemade pastry to be precise, because I did indeed master the intricate rolling, folding, resting, rolling, folding, rising, of croissant dough. My results weren't as flaky as a French croissant, they were slightly more doughy, but that suited me as the Italian ones we had were more bread-like and as I'm sure you've gathered by now we LOVE bread in this flat! I did however keep the very dark, almost bitter chocolate that the French tend to prefer. In Italy they use Nutella, or something similar. It's nice, but a bit too sweet and indulgent for me really. I prefer the more adult kick you get from a really bitter bite of chocolate. Perfect to shock you awake alongside your coffee!

I'm afraid I'm not going to post the recipe, not only because I didn't adapt it in any way, but also because it's two pages long and I can't be bothered. Shame on me, but I'm lazy, and probably should be actually doing work rather than blogging. Oops. Instead you'll just have to make do with the pictures. Sorry.








1 comment:

  1. They look truly wonderful - just the right shade of golden and the photo really shows off the layers of pastry. I'm not usually a fan of pain au chocolat - but for one of those I'd certainly make an effort !!!

    ReplyDelete