Monday 13 April 2009

A posse of posters, and a posset.


I'm an obsessive postcard sender. I can go away for a weekend, to a place down the road, and my parents still tend to receive at least one card. When N went travelling for six months I sent him a postcard or letter a day, (sometimes three or four) even though I knew he wouldn't be able to actually read them until he returned. That was one helluva pile of post.

So when Molly got in touch to tell me that she wanted to add some excitement to our mailboxes how could I refuse! We are the Mavens of the Mailbox and we like real mail. Proper stamps, nice envelopes, handwritten messages. Au revoir emoticons and hastily rattled off emails. We're bringing the purpose back to post, the merriment back to the mail.

You can find us here.

I'm so excited, and I can wait to rattle off my first round of letters. A lazy bank-holiday evening, a class of wine, and pens and paper, what could be a better way to round off a four-day weekend?

We had a brief window of sunshine today and used it to finally get out into the garden and get our long-overdue planting and clearing done. A little later than we might have liked, but we have at least got some things going. Hopefully the yield will be more impressive than last year (two tomatoes, three raspberries and a handful of very small potatoes).
I did of course promise a recipe today. I've been pondering which of things I've made recently to tell you about. There are a whole variety of things taking up my "to post" file, but I think it has to be the Lemon Posset today. Why? Because it's the most simple dessert I think I've ever made, and yet one of the best. It's adapted from a Nigel Slater recipe and serves two. It looks like such a small amount, but believe me, it is just enough because it's so rich and delicious.

I am also dedicating this recipe to Sarah. I think she'd like it (it's not too sweet) and it's a cinch to make, which I think she'll appreciate, and it takes no time at all, which helps when you're a super busy person. So Sarah, here's a dessert for you to make on Wednesday when your boyfriend comes home!

Lemon Posset.

160ml heavy cream
50g caster sugar
25ml (or a little more if like me you adore sharp lemony goodness!)

Whack the cream and the sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring every so often to dissolve the sugar. Lower the heat so it is just bubbling gently and leave for three minutes, again stirring from time to time. Up the heat slightly and let it bubble steadily, but not boil over, for another two minutes. Stir constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Then let it sit and rest for two minutes. Then pour into two small ramekins, or espresso cups, or something suitably cute. Refridgerate for at least an hour, then serve.

Seriously, this tiny dessert packs a punch! I have no picture because it was so quick to make and eat that I didn't have time to grab the camera.

2 comments:

  1. You are too sweet!

    First of all, the Mavens of the Mailbox is the most fun blogging idea I've ever heard. Use the internet to gain back some of the snail mail it took away! How exciting for you and your mailbox!! I can't wait to see more of the fun postcards/items you receive.

    Second, I am making that dessert TOMORROW during study breaks and I can already tell it's going to be fabulous. It'll be a surprise treat for Matt when he gets home-- a dessert made by me that actually tastes good?? He might start his own blog just to thank you!!!!

    Finally-- I had to look up caster sugar. I guess here in the states we call it "superfine" sugar... I like your name better :)

    Hope sunshine is shining on your garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love real mail too - I don't get enough of it :( When I was growing up I had about 12 penpals all over the world - I kind of miss those days!

    Your planting looks great - hopefully we'll have a lovely summer. I'm moving next week to a flat with a patio garden, which I'm stoked about! I have big plans! (weather pending!)

    That lemon posset sounds divine - it might be the first dessert I make in my new flat. I made a promise that I have to use up everything here before I can go to the supermarket again ;)

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete