Monday 8 November 2010

A tale of wine and wollmeise

I think I need to come to terms with the fact that I am now well and truly a yarn addict, and knitting obsessive. There was a very enlightening moment which brought this all home to me over the weekend.

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on some highly coveted Wollmeise yarn. Two skeins of a dark green, one variegated red and a mustard yellow. Ever since our visit to Italy I've been desperate to knit myself a shawl in a gorgeous autumnal colour, and mustard has been calling to me (which is very much away from my colour comfort zone).


So there, ready and waiting on my sewing table was a newly wound beautiful skein of Olio Vergine 100% merino sock yarn. It was there as my friend K and I were having a natter with a glass of wine after an evening of food and good company. It was there as a gesticulation sent a wine glass, full of rich red wine, tumbling across the table threatening to stain everything in it's wake.

With lightening reflexes I snatched the newly wound yarn cake up and into my arms out of harms way....completely ignoring the laptop, camera, books and sewing machine that were now wading in wine! Oops!

You know you're a yarn addict, when you will save precious yarn before any and all other expensive objects!

p.s. After some lots of mopping, cotton bud in socket action, and some careful testing all other items on the table seem fine...although perhaps this is the source of my caps lock problem? (I'm writing this on a kindly lent machine which is nowhere near liquid of any form!)

4 comments:

  1. I think I would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most definitely an addict now!!
    That yarn does look scrumptious, I'm sure I would have done the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. I once lost a very nice ibook to a glass of wine. Happily, though, no yarn has ever suffered a similar fate!

    I saw that there was Wollmeise at Loop, i must get up and check it and the new (ok, not all that new any more...) store out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! that's tooooo funny! But I'm sooooo not surprised. Gorgeous colour xx

    ReplyDelete