Thursday 18 August 2011

St John.

On Tuesday I found myself with time to kill in London. It's been a long time since this has been the case. Despite the fact that I travel up to London for work twice a week, I never have time to just wander about, it's always a dash to work and then a dash home again.

So upon realisation that I had almost three hours to myself before meeting a friend for lunch, I felt both excited and at a loss. I didn't really know what to do or where to go (and having a ridiculously large rucksack on my back full of posh dresses and toiletries meant I didn't really want to be walking around the whole time.)I struck upon the idea of pottering through Spitalfield's and then onto Brick Lane. Then I got distracted, because on the way I stumbled across St John Bread and Wine. How had I missed this on the countless other occasions I've been to this area of London? Seriously, sometimes I amaze myself with my complete lack of awareness!

Now, I know it might seem odd to be so excited about a place famous for it's offal, given that I'm a vegetarian, but the whole reason for the St John Spitalfield's location is to show off their baking. I went in with the notion that I was just going to have a coffee, but the sourdough smell filled my nose and of course toast was inevitable.

So I sat, for an hour, peacefully sipping my coffee, munching my toast, reading my book, and very much enjoying the chefs sitting down to a brunch before the second round of hard graft began.
It was the perfect start to a very perfect day; first breakfast with a friend, second breakfast in a newly discovered place, lunch with another friend and then a chance encounter with my parents on their way back up north after a holiday in the States.

I only wish I hadn't been carrying so much as I would have bought bread. If you get a chance, go. Have coffee and the toast with honey. It shows off the sourdough, and the griddle lines on the bread are beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice day you had! I am very interested in that bread from St Johns...sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete